Advertise here! You can place a sponsored link here, just click on the link.
INSPIRING WALKS IN THE
LAKE DISTRICT

Shaftesbury Village, Dorset's 'little Italy' hill top crown jewel



Shaftebury Village is picture perfect and sits proudly on a 700 ft hill top overlooking Dorset's Blackmoor vale. To many it is the typical english village, but to me it is reminiscent of an Italian Hill top town. Its very much like Sienna in Italy were I spent many a student days wandering up the narrow steep back streets flagged by terraced houses. I think I will always remember shaftebury as my 'little Italy' and look forward to every visit.

Shaftebury is a traditional market town famous for it pebbled steep hill called 'Gold Hill' which was used in the Hovis tv advert. The town was first granted the charter by the king to hold a market in 1260 and since then its has grown to 2 markets. I found that the village or now town has managed to still retain its integretiy as its propularity expanded, much to the delight of the english tourist board.

If you tear yourself away from the nick-nacks of the market and stroll up the cobbles of Gold hill you will be rewarded by the view down. At the top of Gold Hill is Shaftesbury's Town Museum. A wooden fire engine dating to 1744 is on display, although I am not sure if it was ever used; a contradiction if ever I saw one.

If you venture off the main street up gold hill you will discover the steep, narrow, back streets lined by terraced houses that I liken to an Italian Hill top town. Its worth a wander around to explore the area as not many people bother.

So next time you tuck into a Hovis sandwich or sip Chianti on your apartment balcony remember Shaftebury's diverse elegance and plan your next weekend day trip.

Other related post