Advertise here! You can place a sponsored link here, just click on the link.
INSPIRING WALKS IN THE
LAKE DISTRICT

Gorge at Cheddar Village and climb your way into prehistoric britain


As a lover of cheese I quite naively didn't realise there was such as a place called cheddar village. I thought the cheese just got the name from some old English place that no longer exists in modern Britain today.

What's more surprising about cheddar village is it's probably more best known globally for its Gorge and caves. The Cheddar gorge is Britain's largest along with the largest inland limestone cliffs. Also here is a massive cave known as Gough's cave which plays host to Britain's biggest underground river. That's a lot of 'BIGGEST' in Britain, move over America with you Grand Canyon.

I think its fair to say the Cheddar is a unique place of outstanding natural beauty. Within the series of the spectacular underground caves Britain's oldest complete skeleton was discovered in 1903. This has made the site a place of global scientific interest. One of the more gruesome finds is that of human bones with marks on them that would indicate they where smashed apart for the extraction of marrow. The same marks are found on animal bone's which has lead to speculation from some that cannibalism was being practised here.

After discovering all this, I wanted out! I am not good with caves at the best of times so I was thrilled to get out into the open. I headed for the steps that take you up to the top of cheddar gorge, I think I counted 273 steps but the cheddar fact police will tell you its 274 and that it's known as Jacob's ladder. Its a fair old hike up but your generously rewarded by the view of Somerset.

So today I went to Gorge on cheddar and rediscovered the natural beauty of a place I thought was long gone, left to exist amongst the distant memories of a lost generation.

Other related post